T4L rollout Chromebooks and those purchased through EdBuy are almost ready for action straight out of the box. To get started, all you need to do is unbox, charge, wirelessly connect, enrol and log in following the steps below.
If you encounter any problems throughout the process or have purchased a non-contract Chromebook check out the troubleshooting information at the bottom.
Chromebook first-time set up
Connecting to Wi-Fi
To connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi follow the steps below:
1. At the Welcome screen, click the Let's Go button.
2. In the Connect to network menu, click detnsw.
3. In the Join Wi-Fi network pop-up, enter the following settings:
EAP method: PEAP Phase 2 authentication: automatic Server CA certificate: Do not check
Identity: Your DoE account name in the form firstname.lastname@example.org Password: Your account password
Note: If you know it, you can use your school's Wi-Fi service account credentials here instead. Set other fields as shown above.
4. When done, click Connect.
5. After the Wi-Fi network has been successfully joined, the Terms and Conditions screen appears. But before you take the next step complete steps 6 to 9 below.
6. Look towards the bottom-right of the screen near the time display and click the Wi-Fi icon. The detnsw Wi-Fi should say Connected.
7. Click the Gear icon at the top-right on the Network window and select the detnsw network.
8. In the proxy section, choose Web proxy auto-discovery.
9. Click the X at the top-right of the window to close the pop-up.
Enrolling your Chromebook
After connecting your device to the internet you now need to enrol it in the department's domain. Note: Only devices purchased through EdBuy or received as part of the T4L Device Rollout.
Staff and student BYOD Chromebooks should not be enrolled in the department's Google domain. This process can be completed by any staff member.
1. Once you have read the terms and conditions and are happy to proceed click Accept and continue.
2. At the Sign in to your Chromebook prompt press CTRL+ALT+E on your keyboard. This should change the screen title from "Sign in to your Chromebook" to "Enterprise Enrolment". If not, click on More options and select Enterprise enrolment.
4. Input your normal account name (username) without anything added to the end.
5. Click Finished on the Successful Enrolment screen.
Logging into your Chromebook
Once the device is enrolled, any student or staff member can log on. The portal logon screen will appear on startup. Just enter your department account name (first.last) and password and you'll be logged on.
When you start the Chrome browser the first time, the usual department proxy pop-up will appear. The username format for staff is email@example.com and for students, it is username@detnsw with your usual DoE password.
Press Enter or click Log in when done.
If you encounter any problems throughout the processes listed above here are some tips:
Jump in to the active support group in the department’s Yammer service.
If you have purchased non-contract Chromebooks you should also purchase a Google Education Upgrade Licence (or Chromebook Management Licence) that has been registered to the department’s education.nsw.gov.au domain from your supplier if you wish to enrol them. You can also view a factsheet about non-contract Chromebooks.
Now that your devices are up and running it is time to kickstart your journey with technology in the classroom. Take a peek at these resources packed with top tech tips and tricks to boost your skills in no time.
Read - Get back to basics and explore the power of Google Docs with magazine.T4L