Create a Class Notebook online
- Open Office 365 essential via Staff Portal.
- In the upper left corner click the nine white squares.
- Navigate down and click 'Class Notebook'
- Select the blue icon 'Create a class notebook'
- Fill in your class details:
- Type the name of your class.
- Add any extra teachers to the class by typing their name or email address. Click Next.
- Add students to your class by typing their name or email. Click Next.
- Check, modify, add or remove sections as needed.
- Check you are happy with the sections you have added for your students. Click Create (these can be added, modified and removed anytime as needed).
- Creating Notebooks with many sections and large numbers of students can take up to 1-2 minutes.
- At the top of the screen click open in 'OneNote Online'.
Your class notebook is now ready to use.
Create a Class Notebook from Teams
Open Microsoft Teams desktop app.
- Select class Team that contains all your students.
- Select the 'Class Notebook' Tab at the top of the Teams workspace.
- Click the purple button 'Set up a OneNote Class Notebook'.
- Choose either 'Blank Notebook' (Fresh Notebook) or 'From existing notebook content' (Possibly from a shared notebook or a previous year).
- Click Next.
- Check/add/modify/remove student sections. Click Create.
- Getting your Class Notebook ready... this may take from 30sec-1min.
Your class notebook is now ready to use.
Adding an existing Class Notebook to Desktop App
- Open OneNote.
- Navigate to the purple arrow just below 'Home' to view all current Notebooks.
- Down the bottom of the list click 'More Notebooks'.
- Tick the box of the Notebook you would like to add.
- Click 'Open Notebook'.
Your class notebook is now visible in the desktop app.
Distribute a page to students
- Open the Class Notebook you'd like to distribute from in OneNote.
- Select the page(s) you want to distribute in your notebook’s Teacher Only, Content Library or Collaboration Space.
- Select the Class Notebook tab, then select Distribute Page.
- Choose the notebook section you’d like the page(s) copied to. For example: Handouts. All students will get a copy of the page in their notebook’s Handouts section.
- Select Distribute.
Students will receive the page within a minute.
Distribute new section to students
- Select Distribute New Section > Distribute New Section in the Class Notebook ribbon.
- Name your new section. If you've added section groups to student notebooks, you can choose one as a destination for the new section now. Select the dropdown next to Location Details and choose a section group.
- Select Distribute. A new section will be created and distributed to each student in your Class Notebook.
Review student work
- Open OneNote and select the Class Notebook you’d like to review.
- Select the Class Notebook tab in the OneNote ribbon, then select Review Student Work.
- When the Review Student Work pane appears, select the student section you’d like to review, then Next. For example: Handouts.
- Choose a page and select Next.
NB: switch the toggle on to include pages your students have copied from the Content Library. The pages you'll see by default are those you've assigned or distributed to students using the Distribute Page tool.
- Choose a student’s name from the list to review their work. Select First name or Last name to change the sorting of the list.
- If you'd like to prevent students from making edits to the page you're reviewing, select Page Locking. Choose the checkbox next to a student's name to lock pages individually or choose the Select All checkbox to lock every student's page. When you're finished, select Apply.
- To unlock pages, return to the Review Student Work pane and select Page Locking again.
- Close the Review Student Work pane when you’re done.
Adding/Removing a student
Each student in your Class Notebook shares access to the notebook’s Content Library and Collaboration Space. Their notebook also contains a private workspace only you share.
To add a student:
- Select the Class Notebook ribbon, then click Add/Remove students. This will launch the website to manage students.
- Select the notebook you're adding students to.
- Type in a student name, email address, or group name to add student(s) from your school.
- Confirm the students with access to your Class Notebook.
Adding/Removing a teacher
Co-teachers have the same access as the teacher who created the Class Notebook to open and manage class notebooks from any device. If a Class Notebook has been created through Teams then Teachers will need to be added to that Class Team.
- Sign in to your Class Notebook with your school email address via the Staff Portal or portal.office.com.
- When in your Class Notebook, click on the Class Notebook toolbar. Click on Add/Remove Teachers.
- Select the correct Class Notebook. Add teacher(s) by name or email address. Remove teacher(s) by selecting the cross against their name.
- Confirm the list of teachers with access to your class notebook.
The teacher(s) you have added will receive an email with a link to the notebook.
Managing a Class Notebook
Class Notebook settings
Manage your Class Notebook settings by navigating to your notebook in Teams, select Class Notebook, then Manage Notebooks.
Use these settings to:
- edit notebook sections
- copy a link to your notebook
- create a Teacher-only section group
- lock the Collaboration Space