19 May 2021
Thursday 20 May, 2021, is Global Accessibility Awareness Day!
The Technology 4 Learning team are sharing some awesome resources in time for GAAD to boost accessibility in your classroom. We know that accessible learning materials and tools remove barriers to learning for all learners, not just some. So accessibility supports student success!
Check out these T4L Kids TV videos for some great accessibility tips:
- Access Immersive Reader in Office 365 tools to boost access and engagement with the text.
- Find out about the power of auto-captions in Google Slides.
- Speaking to the screen on an iPad to make text accessible.
Then make sure you watch Joe Allen, our Disability Support Coordinator’s EduTECH presentation ‘Personalising Learning with Tech!’
Plus, read this interview with NSW Department of Education accessibility expert Greg Alchin on the Digital NSW Website, where he talks about ‘Life without Barriers.’ It will make you think and encourage you to act.
In addition, there are lots of great resources provided by the Learning and Wellbeing team and other experts across the department. Make sure you check them out and see how they can apply to your classroom.
Here are our top three:
- Why not start by understanding the principles of Universal Design for Learning, a process to remove learning barriers and improve outcomes.
- Then discover how to create more accessible content on the Accessibility basics website Accessibility basics (nsw.gov.au)
- Finally, jump to the A11yBits SharePoint group, where you will find lots of guides, links and stories to put accessibility top of mind.